Retromaster’s Electronics Projects

…related to old computers and other assorted stuff…

Cumulus Prototype Assembly Progress

Posted by retromaster on October 13, 2010

Here is a picture of the Cumulus prototype board in its most current state. It is almost fully populated, except for the socket for the 28C EEPROM (I’ve run out of suitable sockets, it seems) and the HCT221 circuitry for MAP signal timing. The CPLD is available through JTAG and the PIC is accessible through ICSP. It took a while to get to this stage, as quite a few things got in the way and others simply went wrong… but now, everything seems to be back on track.

So, what were the problems? First of all, my JTAG Cable decided it won’t work any more… It may have something to do with all the abuse it had to withstand🙂. Upon building a new one, I got the CPLD connection to work. Very good.

Then I went on to trying the ICSP connection to the 18F46K20, which did not work (to my surprise). So, I spent about a week, debugging on and off, where I checked all the connections, available schematics, etc. The Microchip starter kit schematics had a 8.2V zener diode on the MCLR pin, (my first thought was that was what was missing), but it ultimately turned out to be unnecessary with the PicKit 2, as long as PIC 18F K Series configuration was selected in the software. Finally, I built a couple of very simple boards, basically only with the PIC and ICSP connector on them, just to test the connection to PicKit 2. Those boards worked absolutely fine… Another round of checking, and it turned out that the problem was a fault on the Cumulus prototype board, where the PGD pin had a tiny short to ground. I have no idea how it slipped the first time, but it did. Anyway, now, ICSP is working fine.

So, now I can proceed in two directions. I can finish populating the board, write an Oric test program to the EEPROM (something simple that prints out a text message) and test that the Oric Bus interface is working fine. I can also go on with the UI board, and get the LCD and buttons on it to work, which should be very helpful with the debugging. Hopefully, whichever path I take, things will go a bit more smoothly this time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: